12th Regiment, New York Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 12th Regiment, New York Infantry mustered in for two years' State service May 8, 1861 was transferred to 5th New York Infantry June 2, 1864, as Companies "E" and "F.".
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Butterfield, Daniel.Report of the proceedings--in connection with the monument erected by Maj.-Gen. Daniel Butterfield, U.S.V., at Fredericksburg, Va. : in honor of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac : and presentation of a tablet by the 12th N.Y. Regiment Association to the Oneida Historical Society, Utica, New York. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1994) FHL Fiche 6118694
- Boyles, J. R.Reminiscences of the Civil War. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990) FHL Fiche 6082639
- Dowley, Morris Francis.History and honorary roll of the Twelfth Regiment, Infantry, N.G.S.N.Y. : containing a full and accurate account of the various changes through which the organization has passed since the date of its formation, 1847 to the present; also biographical sketches of General Butterfield, Ward and Barlow and Rev. Stephen H. Tyng, Jr., as well as the names and rank of several hundred members of the "Twelfth" who rose to distinction during the war for the suppression of the great rebellion. (Ann Arbor, Michigan : Xerox University Microfilm, [19--?]) FHL Book 974.7 M2d(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083676
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Murray, R. L. Letters from the front : Onondaga County troops in the Civil War. (Wolcott, New York : Benedum Books, c2002), FHL book 974.765 M2m
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).