12th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 12th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Providence and mustered in for nine months October 18, 1862. It was mustered out July 29, 1863.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 12th Rhode Island Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company I - Captain George C. Almy - many men from Newport County.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Books and Films
- Grant, Joseph W. The flying regiment : journal of the campaign of the 12th Regt. Rhode Island Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL Fiche 6118855 and My first campaign. FHL Fiche 6083375
- History of the Twelfth Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, in the Civil War ... ebook available online at archive.org ,
- History of the Twelfth Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, in the Civil War, 1862-1863. Prepared by a committee of the survivors, in 1901-4. view online at Hathi Trust Digital Library
- Lapham, Oscar. Recollections of service in the Twelfth Regiment, R. I. Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083376
- The Rebellion record: a dairy of American events edited by Frank Moore
- History of the Twelfth Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, in the Civil War, 1862-1863 - Tillinghast, Pardon Elisha, 1836-1905 Read online at archive.org and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083377 Reminiscences of service with the Twelfth Rhode Island Volunteers : and a memorial of Col. George H. Browne.FHL fiche 6118856
- The Flying Regiment; Journal of the Campaign of the 12th Regt. - Grant, Joseph W. The Rhode Island Volunteers available at New England Civil War Museum.com.
- Civil War in the East
- Browns in the Civil War
- Converse Soldiers in the Civil War
- Higgins in Rhode Island Northern Forces during USA Civil War
- Mattesons in the Civil War