22nd Battalion, Tennessee Infantry (Murray's)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain Thomas E. Taylor - Men from White County.
- Company B - Captain James S. Gribble - Men from White County.
- Company C - Captain James M. Freiley
- Company D - Captain John W. Bass
- Company E - Captain M.B. Wood
- Company F - Captain Oliver P. Schooffield
- Company G - Captain Ephraim Hixson
- Company H - Captain M.A. Christian
- Company K -Captain R.J.C. Gailbreath
There was no Company I. Information for these companies is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls of the 22nd Battalion Tennessee Infantry begin on page 602.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). A brief history and organization of companies.
- Confederate Military Rosters Online, 22nd Infantry Battalion, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Surnames listed alphabetically. National Archives T268 - Rolls #207 & #208.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).