26th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Also called 13th Regiment] completed its organization in October, 1861, at Brunswick, Georgia. Its companies were recruited in the couties of Charlton, Berrien, Glynn, Twiggs, Clinch, Ware, Coffee, and Wayne. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 183
- Company A - ("Glynn Guards") Glynn County- see - Roster on page 185; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Camden Mounted") Glynn County - see - Roster on page 191; USGenWeb
- Company C - ("Seaboard Guards") Camden and Wayne Counties - see - Roster on page 200; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Ware Guards") Ware County - see - Roster on page 206; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Faulk Invincibles") Twiggs County - see - Roster on page 213; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Okefenokee Rifles") Charlton County - see - Roster on page 223; USGenWeb
- Company G - Lowndes County - see - Roster on page 229
- Company H - ("Forest Rangers") Clinch and Ware Counties - see - Roster on page 236; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Piscola Volunteers") Brooks County - see - Roster on page 246; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("Brunswick Riflemen") Glynn County - see - Roster on page 255; USGenWeb
- Company L - ("Wiregrass Minutemen") Ware County - see - Roster on page 264
- Company M - ('McIntosh County Guards") Mcintosh County - see - Roster on page 272; USGenWeb
- Company N - ("Pierce Mounted Infantry") Pierce County - see - Roster on page 278; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
This website(users.erols.com/brant/GeorgiaBrigade/organization) gives additional sources for counties of origin.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).