36th Regiment, Iowa Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Keokuk and mustered in October 4, 1862. They mustered out August 24, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 36th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 36th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Iowa in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (seebelow).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Iowa in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Iowa, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.  Company H - Many men from Appanoose County.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Frank Hickenlooper, An Illustrated History of Monroe County, Iowa, (Albia, Iowa : [s.n.], 1896), p. 47. FamilySearch Books
- Harrison L. Waterman, ed., History of Wapello County Iowa. (Chicago: S.J. Pub., 1914) v.1 page 355. Internet Archive
- L. L. Taylor, ed., Past and Present of Appanoose County, (SJ Clark Pub.,1913), pg 184-195. Internet Archive