3rd Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 3rd Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Providence, Rhode Island in August 1861. The 3rd Rhode Island Infantry ceased to exist on December 19, 1861 when it was changed to 3rd Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wikipedia 3rd Rhode Island Infantry (accessed 22 March 2013)
- Metcalf, Edwin. Personal incidents in the early campaigns of the Third Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers and the Tenth Army Corps. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083316
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)