3rd regiment, North Carolina Cavalry (41st North Carolina Volunteers)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Organized at Kinston, in the fall of 1862. Many of the companies had already seen lanrge and faithful service in the protection of Eastern Carolina.Those who remained with the Army were surrendered at Appomattox Court House on 9 April 1865. 
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - mostly from New Hanover County
Company B - mostly from Onslow County
Company C - mostly from Caswell County
Company D - mostly from Harnett County
Company F - mostly from Lenior County and Craven County
Company G - mostly from Halifax County
Company H - mostly from Onslow County
Company I - mostly from Wake County
Company K - mostly from Martin County, Washington County, Beaufort County, and Pitt County 
The above information about the companies comes from Histories of the several regiments and battalions from North Carolina, in the great war 1861-'65.
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. 
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Walter Clark. Histories of the several regiments and battalions from North Carolina in the Great War, 1861-'65 (Nash Brothers, Book and Job Printers, Goldsboro, N.C., 1901). Internet Archive.
References[edit | edit source]
- 3rd NC Cavalry 41st Regiment NCT, (accessed 2 May 2011)
- The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 2 May 2011)
- Histories of the several regiments and battalions from North Carolina, in the great war 1861-'65, (accessed 2 May 2011).
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 1. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 2