46th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 46th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry completed its organization at Paris, Tennessee, in November, 1861. After the Battle of Nashville, the regiment was included in the surrender on April 26, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captains James W. Weldon, Joseph D. Wilson (to major)
- Company B - Captains John A. Allen, W.G. Randle
- Company C - Captains John W. Harris, S.W. Cochran
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- King, Stephen Lynn. History and biographical sketches of the 46th Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A., Henry County, Tennessee. (Bowling Green, Kentucky : S.L. King, c1992), FHL book 976.834 M2k
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls of the 41st Tennessee Infantry begin on page 543. A brief history begins on page 904.
- 46th Tennessee Vol. Inf. Company K, Inc.Confederate States Army, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). The 46th Tennessee actively particpates in hosting school programs, memorials, parades, living histories and re-enactments.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 46th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The Forty-sixth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- 46th Tennessee Vol. Inf. Company K, Inc., (accessed 30 Dec 2011). Reenactment group, many links provided.