7th Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 22nd Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry (Barteau's) originally and often called 2nd Regiment, was organized in June, 1862, by consolidating the 1st and 7th Tennessee Cavalry Regiments. February, 1865.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Captain James Baber Company - many men from Sumner County.
- Captain D. C. Douglass Company - many men from Sumner County.
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 5.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Witherspoon, William. Reminiscences of a scout, spy, and soldier of Forrest's Cavalry. (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1990), FHL Fiche 6082673
- Wyeth, John A. (John Allen); Forrest, Nathan Bedford. Life of General Nathan Bedford Forrest. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990) FHL Fiche 6082243
- Young, J. P. The Seventh Tennessee Cavalry (confederate) : a history. (Dayton, Ohio : Morningside Bookshop, c1976), FHL book 976.8 M2y and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082674