7th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Union)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
7th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry was organized in Tennessee at large August 10, 1862, to June 1, 1863. It mustered out July 31, 1863. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Men from Weakley and Henry Counties, Tennessee, and from Hickory Grove, Kentucky.
- Company B - Men from Carroll, Weakley and Gibson Counties.
- Company C - Men from Weakley County.
- Company D - Men from Weakley County.
- Company E - 
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wright, General Marcus J., Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908), Online book at Internet Archive. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Infantry - The Seventh Regiment begins on page 192.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 7th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 4 Jan 2012). A brief history, field officers, captains and companies. Also see 7th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, USA.
- Sumner County, Tennessee In the Civil War, Chapter Three, by Edwin L. Ferguson, (accessed 4 Jan 2012). Companies C and E Rosters.