Acle, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Acle, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Acle St Edmund
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1664|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ACLE (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 11 miles (E.) from Norwich. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Acle, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ACLE PARISH Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1698 Image 1
- 1705 Image 346
- 1705 Image 347
- 1705 Image 348
- 1715 Image 1171
- 1715 Image 1172
- 1722-1723 Image 1
- 1722-1723 Image 2
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Page, BA. Raymond A. The Page Family In Norfolk - The Page's of Walcot, Acle Ormesby. History and family tree of Henry Page of Walcot Acle with the following surnames, Hexam, Watts, Goodwin, Warde, Bullocke, Short, Jacks, Bennet, Brown, Page, Goose, Worts, Greenacre and Appleton, with reference to South Walsham, St. Mary 1629, Acle, Walcot, Ormesby and Saxthorpe. Article has dates from 1422-1707, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt.11 page 151-153, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol. 2,pt11.
Land Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Military[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Acle on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 9-12 Date accessed: 02 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Acle', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.