Addington County, Ontario
History[edit | edit source]
Addington County is a historic county in the province of Ontario, Canada.
It was named after Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth. The county of Addington was created on paper in 1792, but has never existed as a discrete municipal entity. From 1792 until 1864, it was part of the United Counties for Frontenac, Lennox and Addington. In 1860, permission was given by the Legislature for Frontenac County to separate. From 1864 until the present, Addington has been part of the united counties of Lennox and Addington.
Addington consisted of the northern and eastern portions of the merged county. Originally, it took in Ernestown township, Camden township, Sheffield township, Denbigh, Abinger and Ashby township, and Kaladar and Anglesea township. It now consists of the lower-tier municipalities of Addington Highlands, Stone Mills, and Loyalist.