Alböke Parish, Kalmar, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Alböke Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
History[edit | edit source]
(write information such as: how old the parish is, interesting facts about the parish, what alternate names it has, or any boundary changes.)
|Alböke Parish, Kalmar, Sweden Genealogy|
|Pastorat||Alböke (medeltiden), -1961 Löt, 1962- Köping|
|Tingslag||-1942 Ölands norra mot (Slättbo h:d), 1943-1968 Öland, 1969-1970 Möre and Öland|
|Domsaga||1971- Möre och Ölands tingsrätt|
|Militär indelning||1:a Ölands Båtsmans-Kompani|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/VALA/00003|
|National Archive SVAR||link|
|SCB Congregation map||link|
|Open Street map||link|
Place Names[edit | edit source]
Istad by, Istad (Lilla), Istad (Stora),
Kalleguta Utmark, Karsö, Knäppinge, Korntorp, Kåreholmen,
Lilla Istad, Lilla Stacketorp,
Stacketorp, Stacketorp (Lilla), Stacketorp (Stora), Stora Istad, Stora Stacketorp, Staretorp,
- Surrounding Parishes
Collections[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1840-1947, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Online Database Church Records[edit | edit source]
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Kalmar Church Records, 1577-1907; index 1625-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden[edit | edit source]
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Click Sweden, Kalmat Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Kalmar and then select your parish.
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Related Sources[edit | edit source]
- PLF Database -- A large portion of births, marriages, and deaths have been indexed on CD-Roms for the county of Kalmar. The 4 disc set has been created by Person-och Lokalhistoriskt Forskarcentrum, Oskarshamn (PLF). To learn more about these CD-Roms click here.
- Nixon -- a name index of Biographical and genealogical information for Kalmar and a few other counties. To learn more click here.
Help Reading Swedish Records[edit | edit source]
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting[edit | edit source]
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Alböke, Husförhörslängd 1840-1860, Ortregister
Jurisdictional Information from: Riksarkivet. "Alböke Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). May 2012 https://sok.riksarkivet.se/