Arizona, Payson, Obituaries - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Arizona, Payson, Obituaries, 1948-2008
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Payson, Gila, Arizona, |
|Flag of Arizona|
|Location of Payson, Gila, Arizona|
|Location of Arizona|
|The Arizona Republic newspaper, Phoenix; Payson Roundup newspapers and Northern Gila County Genealogy Society Library, Arizona|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next ?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes obituaries for the years 1948 to 2008, from newspapers in Payson, Arizona and the greater Phoenix area.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name and age of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Occupation and residence
- Names of surviving family members
- Cause of death
- Date, place and time of funeral services or burial
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
|101023137||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 1, Jul-Sep 1999|
|101023138||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 2, Sep-Nov 1999|
|101023139||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 003a, Dec 1999|
|101023140||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 003b, Jan-Feb 2000|
|101023141||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 004a, Feb-Mar 2000|
|101023142||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 004b, Mar-Apr 2000|
|101023143||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 5, Apr-Jun 2000|
|101023144||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 6, Jun-Jul 2000|
|101023145||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 7, Aug-Sep 2000|
|101023146||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 8, Oct-Nov 2000|
|101023147||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 9, Nov 2000-Jan 2001|
|101023148||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 10, Jan-Mar 2001|
|101023149||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 11, Mar-Apr 2001|
|101023150||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 12, Apr-Jun 2001|
|101023151||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 13, Jun-Aug 2001|
|101023152||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 14, Aug-Sep 2001|
|101023153||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 15, Oct-Nov 2001|
|101023154||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 16, Nov-Dec 2001|
|101023155||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 17, Jan-Feb 2002|
|101023156||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 18, Feb-Mar 2002|
|101023157||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 19, Mar-May 2002|
|101023158||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 20, May-Jun 2002|
|101023159||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 021a, Jul-Aug 2002|
|101023160||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 021b, Aug-Oct 2002|
|101023161||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 22, Oct-Nov 2002|
|101023162||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||v. 23, Dec 2002-Jan 2003|
|100743142||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||bk. 1-2 and various vols., 17 Apr 1948-Jan 2005|
|100743143||Arizona Republic||Phoenix||4 Jun 1987-28 Feb 1999|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate death date
- The names of other relatives and associates
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List section on this article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next ?[edit | edit source]
- Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for the death certificate
- If a birth date was provided in the obituary, search for a birth record
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Use the information found in the obituary to search for family members in census, vital, probate, and land records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Arizona.
- Arizona Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1910 | 1900-Present
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.