Australia, Convict Tickets of Leave - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Australia, Convict Tickets of Leave, 1824-1874
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Record Type||Convict Records|
|New South Wales Archives and Records|
- 1 Why Should I Look at This Collection?
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Why Should I Look at This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Tickets of Leave were documents issued to persons in Australian penal colonies who had served part of their sentence with good behavior between 1824 and 1874. These documents were issued to prisoners granting them permission to travel with limited freedom throughout the colony. Prisoners holding these tickets were allowed to seek private employment, lease land, and move freely in the police district where the ticket was issued.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains records from the following collections in the New South Wales State Archives catalog record
- NRS-12200, Registers of tickets of leave, 29 July 1824-1 October 1833
- NRS-12202, Ticket of leave butts, 31/3/1827 to 13/12/1875
- NRS-12204, Butts of ticket of leave passports, 7-10-1835 to 8/5/1869
The butts are stubs of the original document which was recorded on a two-part form. One part was was completed and given to the convict, and the other part containing similar information was retained in the book. These butts are the source of these data. Not included in this collection are the following related records from the New South Wales State Archives
- NRS-12201, Index to ticket of leave registers, 1/1/1827 to 31/12/1850
- NRS-12203, Registers of fees received on tickets of leave, 1/8/1828 to 3/8/1860
- NRS-12206, Ticket of leave muster rolls, 1/1/1838 to year only 31/12/1841
- NRS-12207, Butts of Colonial tickets of leave, 1/1/1849 to 31/12/1875
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information about his transportation to identify his place of origin
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded under an alias
- Try variations of the given and surname
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Australia
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- New South Wales. Colonial Secretary, Certificates of application for tickets of leave, 1822-1825
- New South Wales. Colonial Secretary, Convict records of Australia, 1811-1813
- New South Wales. Colonial Secretary, Convict returns, 1880-1883
- New South Wales. Colonial Secretary, Certificates of freedom, tickets of leave, and pardons, 1810-1867
- New South Wales. Principal Superintendent of Convicts, Muster of persons holding tickets of leave, Parramatta, 1828
- New South Wales. Benches of Magistrates, Applications for, and register of, ticket of leave holders, passports and conditional pardons, 1840-1859, Queanbeyan
- Perry McIntyre Convict pardons, tickets of leave issued in the colony of New South Wales, 1810-1875
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.