More major record sets for Wales are available to search online than most countries.
What information do you want to learn about your ancestor?
|Birth||Marriage||Death & burial|
Research Tips Success with Welsh census, birth, marriage and death records depends on a few key points.
- Many surnames in Wales are quite common. Extra reference points improve search options and success.
- Find your ancestor in each available census.
- Use indexes, but never trust the index. Always look at the original image or record to verify accuracy and see information not indexed.
- Where a person lived can be a great help to group individuals into their correct families.
- Dates in a person's life will point to various options for learning more about them. Even approximate dates for birth, marriage and death can help.
- Find at least two documents from independent sources to verify what you learn.
- Use maps - doing genealogy without a map is like painting with your eyes shut.