Brazil, Pernambuco, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Pernambuco, Catholic Church Records
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Pernambuco|
|Location of Pernambuco, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Pernambuco, Registros da Igreja Católica|
|Paróquias Católicas, Pernambuco (Catholic Church parishes, Pernambuco)|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include baptism, marriage, and burial records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of Pernambuco from 1762-2002.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Brazil, Pernambuco, Catholic Church Records, 1762-2002.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The information in these records usually include the following:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Pernambuco, Catholic Church Records, 1762-2002. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Brazil Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable
- Your ancestor might have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas Brazil Emigration and Immigration cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.