Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Caddo Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caddo Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana, United States Genealogy
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 18, 1838|
|Address||501 Texas Street|
Shreveport, LA 71101
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Caddo Native Americans. The County has Shreveport as its seat and the County was created January 18, 1838. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Caddo Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
- 1838--Caddo Parish was created 18 January 1838 from Natchitoches Parish.
Parish seat: Shreveport 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
- Cass County, Texas
- Harrison County, Texas
- Lafayette County, Arkansas
- Marion County, Texas
- Miller County, Arkansas
- Panola County, Texas
- Red River
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- A volunteer through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness is willing to search a collection of slave data covering Caddo Parish.
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Caddo Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
Census[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- Caddo Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish LA Census Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Caddo Parish Church Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
- Caddo Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Index to Caddo Parish Land Patents (LAGenWeb Projects)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Index to Caddo Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Caddo Parish LA Historical Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
Maps[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Caddo Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Military[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Military History Online
- Caddo Parish Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish Military Information (LAGenWeb Project)
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1883 - Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
Regiments. Service men in Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - Fenner's Battery, Louisiana Light Artillery
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Caddo Parish News Stories and Casualty Lists (Genealogy Trails)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Caddo Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (ldsgenealogy.com)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Caddo Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (ldsgenealogy.com)
- Index to Caddo Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1905 - Caddo Parish Vital Statistics (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Caddo Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Birth[edit | edit source]
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Caddo Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Marriage Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
- Caddo Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1850 Mortality Schedule. Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1860 in the Parish of Caddo, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Death Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Ark-La-Tex Genealogical Association
3101 Fairfield Avenue
PO Box 4463
Shreveport, Louisiana 71134-0463
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Caddo Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Caddo Parish, LAGenWeb
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog ,
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Geneaogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Caddo, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddo_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caddo Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Caddo Parish, Louisiana p. 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Caddo Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddo_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 31 December 2019.