California, United States Genealogy
|California Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to California ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about the U.S. state. For other uses, see California (disambiguation).
California became the thirty-first state admitted to the Union in September 9, 1850. California was created from part of unorganized territory called Mexican Cession (Mexico ceded the land to the U. S. in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago in 1848) and is located in the southwest region of the United States. Sacramento is the capital and there are 58 counties in California. 
Getting Started with California Research
Links to articles on getting started with California research.
California Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in California research.
California Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
California Migration Routes
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- 2001-2014 - Currentobituary.com index, 2001-2014 at FamilySearch — index
- Cyndi's List - California genealogy sites on the internet
- California Genealogy Trails - Collection of transcribed data for the state of California
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for California
- The Ancestor Hunt - Resources for California genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for California
- California Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "California" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 1 Nov 2016.