Canterbury, Kent Places of Worship
- 1 Overview
- 2 Anglican places of worship
- 3 Non- Conformist Places of worship
[edit | edit source]
A useful overview of the places of worship and their surviving records in local and The National Archives has been researched by the Canterbury Branch of the Kent Family History Society.
This includes tables of the long lost churches and guide to location, the Monastic Institutions dissolved in the 16th Century and outlines the Burial records of Canterbury City Cemetery 1877-1953 which are held at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Cathedral Precincts, Canterbury.
Anglican places of worship[edit | edit source]
Anglican places of worship in the City of Canterbury are described both in Kent Parishes and additionally are partially reflected in Comprehensive List of Parishes and Churches within the City of Canterbury
Non- Conformist Places of worship[edit | edit source]
Congregational[edit | edit source]
Presbyterian[edit | edit source]
Baptist[edit | edit source]
Unitarian Baptists[edit | edit source]
Zoar Particular Baptists[edit | edit source]
Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion[edit | edit source]
The modern Canterbury St Andrew's United Reformed Church replaces the building lost to the Whitefriars redevelopment which had been built in the 1950's as a Congregational Church.
The history of the original Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion Church dating from 1797, the replacement church of 1863 in Watling Street and the 1942 merger with the Congrgational Church and destruction of the building in 1942 bombing are told at Kent Family History Society with description of the records held at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives.
Wincheap Burial Ground[edit | edit source]
Wincheap Burial Ground records 1911-1927 contain Baptist, Congregational and Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion burials and are found in the Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Wesleyan Methodists[edit | edit source]
The Northgate Wesleyan Methodist St John's Chapel is now part of the King's School and is a former Primitive Methodist place of worship. See The King's School Canterbury Wikipedia
See Kent Family History Society for history of the places of worship and Records held at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives and the records of both the Canterbury and Faversham circuit and Canterbury and Whitstable Circuit held at the Centre for Kentish Studies Maidstone
Huguenot[edit | edit source]
The French protestant refugees were initially assigned to "The Strangers Church" in 1575 see Canterbury St Alphege, Kent but later were transferred to the western crypt of Canterbury Christchurch Cathedral, Kent The present day French Protestant Chapel is located in the Black Prince's Chantry in a small area of the Western Crypt.
Records are held at the National Archives with copies at the Centre for Kentish Studies Maidstone
See also Kent Family History Society for description of the record holdings.
Society of Friends (Quakers)[edit | edit source]
The earlier Friends Meeting House in Canterbury was lost in 1942 bombing of the city.
See description of the history of the Religious Society of Friends in Canterbury and description of the record holdings at the National Archives at Kent Family History Society
The Old Synagogue Canterbury[edit | edit source]
The Old Synagogue Canterbury dates from 1846-1848, a replacement for a 1763 building and the history of the Jewish Community in Canterbury is included Old Synagogue Canterbury Wikipedia The building is now used for religious worship only occasionally and is a recital hall within the King's School The King's School Wikipedia and The Old Synagogue King's School
For an early history of the Canterbury Jewish community Medieval Jewish Community Canterbury
The records deposited in the Canterbury Cathedral Archives are described at Kent Family History Society