|Carmarthenshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
Dyfed Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Dyfed)
The Stable Room
Cardigan, Ceredigion SA43 1JA UK
Telephone: 01239 831310
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire UK
Telephone: 01554 891241
Prendergast Church Hall
Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA61 2PF UK
Telephone: 01646 650250
Llandovery (Upper Towy Valley) Branch
The Dolaubran Complex
Llandovery, Carmarthenshire SA20 0RB UK
Telephone: 01550 721101
Llanelli, Carmarthenshire SA15 3AS UK
Telephone: 01267 267039
The Family History Centre
64-68 Exhibition Road
Kensington, London SW7 2PA UK
Telephone: 0207 9230302
- The Society was founded in 1982 to encourage and assist people in all parts of the world who are pursuing family history research related to Dyfed which comprises the old counties of Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, and Pembrokeshire. The Society also welcomes members who have no Dyfed ancestors but are interested in Dyfed history generally.
Llanelli Historical Society
Website: Llanelli Historical Society
- The website gives a history of Llanelli from the time it started being an industrial force. Also given are details concerning the baptismal records of the town, a census index from 1881, registers of births, marriages and deaths, geology of 1902, and historical descriptions of the different industries in the town, including coal, steel, and tin.
Carmarthenshire Societies[edit | edit source]
Ammanford and District Archaeology and History Society (Cymdeithas Archeoleg a Hanes, Rhydaman a'r Cylch)
Ammanford Evangelical Church
6 Wind Street
Ammanford, Carmarthenshire SA18 3AF UK
Telephone: 01269 594639
Website: Ammanford and District Archaeology and History Society
- An aim of the Society is to raise the awareness of the people of Ammanford and the neighbouring district and elsewhere of the need to record, publish, and preserve the history and archaeology of the area.
Bynea and Llwynhendy History Society
Red Cow Inn
65 Cwmfelin Road
Llanelli, Carmarthenshire SA14 9LP UK
Telephone: 01792 521943
Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society (Cymdeithas Hynafiaethau Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Trinity St. David
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire SA31 3AP UK
Telephone: 01267 241922
Website: Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society
- The constitution of the Society sets out some aims and objects as the study of the history, archaeology, antiquities, and folklore of Carmarthenshire in particular and West Wales in general; to encourage public interest in local history; and to encourage the preservation of local records, antiquities, and objects of historical and archaeological interest.
Carmarthenshire Family History Society
Website: Carmarthenshire Family History Society
- The Carmarthenshire Family History Society was formed in 1998 to help people research ancestors from the county. Run by members, it doesn’t hold meetings. Instead members get access to a website full of material from the county and beyond often transcribed from the Carmarthenshire Archives by volunteers.
Five Roads and District Heritage Society (Cymdeithas Treftadaeth Pum Heol A'r Cylch)
Neuadd Y Pentref/Village Hall
Website: Five Roads and District Heritage Society
Glanymor and Tyisha History Group
- The Glanymor and Tyisha History Group was formed in February 2004 to preserve the area's history.
Kidwelly Local History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Cydwelli)
The Parish Room
St Mary’s Church
Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire SA17 4UD UK
Telephone: 01554 891090
Website: Kidwelly Local History Society
- The objects of the Society are to promote interest in the history of Kidwelly and to provide a means whereby knowledge gained through research can be passed down through the generations.
- Since 2013 Llandovery History Society has been exploring, displaying, and caring for the history of this part of North Carmarthenshire. An independent group of volunteers, we are lucky to receive warm local support. This allows us to share the stories of the Upper Towy Valley with visitors to our exhibition of local history in the Castle Hotel in the centre of town.
- The society's main aim is to consolidate the work of local historians in preserving historic buildings and structures and to promote the community's rich heritage. Through its work the society aims to enhance community awareness and identity and encourage civic pride by bringing history to the local communities as well as promoting lifelong learning, recreation, leisure, and tourism.
- Treftadaeth Brynaman Heritage known by its initials TBH, or Brynamman Heritage, is a well-established local history group based in the library of the Black Mountain Centre (old name Community Centre) in Upper Brynamman. The group has undertaken a number of local history projects; the results are regularly on show in a large display cabinet which shares a space with an art gallery all housed in the most important room in the building, the large open plan cafe.