Charing, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Charing, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Charing St Peter & St Paul Kent
|Poor Law Union||West Ashford|
|Registration District||West Ashford|
|Parish registers: 1590|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1565|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHARING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of West Ashford, hundred of Calehill, lathe of Shepway, E division of Kent, 12½ miles ESE from Maidstone, on the road from London to Folkestone. 
Charing is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent. Charing Wikipedia
The Ancient Parish of St Peter and St Paul was extensive. The ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Charing Heath, was created in 1874 to serve the villages of Lenham Heath and Charing Heath.
The Parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Charing St Peter and St Paul parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Charing St Peter and St Paul Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1590-1911||1591-1916; 1754-1823 (Banns)||1790-1867|
|FS PRs||1823-1884 (Banns)|
Charing Heath Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Charing Heath Holy Trinity Online Parish Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for Boughton Malherbe, Kent Charing Egerton, Kent, and Lenham, Kent are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
The 1987 microfilming at Kent Archives reference: Q/RPL/71
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 545-549. Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish banns', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.