Church of the Messiah, Georgetown County, South Carolina
Jump to navigation Jump to search
South Carolina Historical Society holdings:
- "Church of the Messiah (Episcopal). Georgetown County. Records, 1853-1910. 1 vol. 3 folders."
- "The parish register (1855-1907) contains historical notes written after 1902; baptisms (1855-1906); marriages (1873-1907); burials (1858-1904); communicants (1857-1900), and list of parishioners (1899-1906). After the burning of the church (1886) and ensuing dormancy of the parish, information re former parishioners was sent in from other states to be inscribed on the Messiah register. Some financial data available for the years 1856-1880. Among the names appearing in the records are Ashe, Brailsford, Doar, Elliott, Girardeau, Hazzard, Horry, Jervey, La Bruce, Lowndes, Lucas, Maxwell, Middleton, Sparkman, Trenholm, and Waring. Report of Building Committee (1853) signed by W. B. Horry and G. Manigault; rough minutes (1860); broad sheet (ca. 1880), arguing against dueling, by “Champion”; invoices for suppliers (ca. 1890); notes (1901-10) on baptisms, marriages & burials written on slips of paper usually by the officiating minister to be entered in the register; offer (1903) of Ladies Aid Society to vestry to give an organ; receipts, accounts, ferry tickets, and insurance papers."