Coldred, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Coldred, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Coldred St Pancras Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Dover|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
COLDRED (St. Pancras), a parish, in the union of Dover, hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 5 miles NW by N from Dover.
Coldred is a small rural settlement in the civil parish of Shepherdswell with Coldred in the Dover district of Kent. The ancient former Saxon church has relatively few houses nearby and several larger farms. See Coldred Wikipedia
Coldred St Pancras is an Ancient parish; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church of St Pancras Coldred Church Road has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
See also Kent Archeological Society and Edward Hasted's entry for the parish in "The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent": Volume 9 (1800), pp. 385-393 at British History Online and Kent Churches website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Coldred parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Coldred Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1560-1909||1562-1928; 1754-1823 (Banns)||1562-1928; 1754-1823 (Banns)||1561-1988||1561-1988|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 659-663. Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.