Confederate Prisoner of War Records
Union Prisons for Confederate Soldiers[edit | edit source]
Records of the National Archives[edit | edit source]
Confederate Prisoners of War, 1861-1865[edit | edit source]
The "Selected Records of the War Department Relating to Confederate Prisoners of War, 1861-1865" (NARA M598) is a collection consisting of 427 bound volumes. The records are of Confederate prisoners of war and political prisoners confined in Union prisons. They consist mainly of registers and lists of captured soldiers and civilians. The records contain information such as names, rank, unit or residence, dates of capture, deaths, and prisoners released.
- United States, Records of Confederate Prisoners of War, 1861-1865 (FamilySearch)
- Civil War Prisoner of War Records, 1861-1865 (Ancestry) ($) (note: this database also contains records of M918 and M2072 as well as records of Union prisoners of war from M1303.)
- 1864-1866 - United States Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1864-1866 at FamilySearch — index
- United States, Records Of Confederate Prisoners Of War, 1861-1865 at findmypast
- Fort Delaware Society Heritage Research Confederate and Union soldiers.
- Wiki articles describing online Familysearch collection is found at:
- Locate M598 at a library using Worldcat.
Union Provost Marshals' File[edit | edit source]
The Provost Marshals' File of papers relating to two or more civilians (NARA M416) contains lists of civilian prisoners in Union prisons. The records of prisoners are on microfilm rolls 84-94 and are listed alphabetically by prison location. The records are available online.
- 1861-1866 - United States Union Provost Marshal Files of Individual Civilians, 1861-1866 at FamilySearch — images
- 1861-1866 - United States Union Provost Marshal Files of Two or More Civilians, 1861-1866 at FamilySearch — images
Other Confederate Prisoner of War Records[edit | edit source]
- Register of Confederate Soldiers, Sailors, and Citizens who Died in Federal Prisons and Military Hospitals in the North, 1861-1865 (M918)
- Lists of Confederates Captured at Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 4, 1863 (M2072)
Both of the above collections are included in Ancestry's "Civil War Prisoner of War Records, 1861-1865" database mentioned above.
Related Books[edit | edit source]
- Portals to Hell: Military Prisons of the Civil War (FHL 973 M2spe) (Worldcat) by Lonnie R. Speer contains the history of Union and Confederate prisons.
References[edit | edit source]
- United States. National Archives and Records Service. Pamphlet Describing M416: Union Provost Marshal’s File of Papers Relating to Two or More Civilians. Washington, D.C., National Archives And Record Service, 1969.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.