Croydon St John the Baptist, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Croydon St John the Baptist, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Croydon St John the Baptist, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Croydon|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1799|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CROYDON (St. John the Baptist), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the First division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 9½ miles (S.) from London.
Resource[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Court of the Deanery of the Arches of London, Croydon, and Shoreham probate records are available online at FamilySearch for free.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Croydon Minster (official website). History, visitor directions, church schedule.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 26 September 2013.
- Batches C098651, C098652, C098653, C098654, C098655, C098656, C154715, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 9 April 2012.
- Batches M098651, M098652, M098653, M098654, M098655, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 9 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- Surrey Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 15 April 2012.