Deptford St Nicholas, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Deptford St Nicholas, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Deptford St Nicholas, Kent|
Deptford+Green St+Nicholas SE8
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Greenwich|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
DEPTFORD, a town, in the union of Greenwich, partly in the E division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, but principally in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 4 miles E from London. In 1730, the town was divided into the two parishes of St. Nicholas and St. Paul, the former of which, including the old town. 
DEPTFORD St Nicholas, was created a parish from ancient times, in the west division of Kent, 4 miles east from London.
In 1730, the town was divided into the two parishes of St Nicholas and St Paul parish were built. St Nicholas included the old town. The parish church was in operation by at least the year 1563. The church, was rebuilt in 1697.
There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians.
The foundation stone of the Royal Naval school at Counter Hill, was laid June 1st, 1843. There are two almshouses belonging to the Corporation of the Trinity House, for decayed pilots and masters of ships, or their widows: one, which adjoins St. Nicholas' churchyard, and consists of 25 apartments; the other, in Church Street, was built about the close of the seventeenth century, and contains 56 apartments, forming a spacious quadrangle.
The following chapels of ease and district church were attached to or associated with Deptford St Paul's:
- Hatcham St James - 1845
- St John Church - 1854
- Christ Church mission - 1864
- St Peter - 1867
Deptford is a district of South London partly in the London boroughs of Lewisham and Greenwich Deptford Wikipedia.
Deptford St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish; the modern parish is in the Diocese of Southwark and a map of the parish boundary is found at A church near you
The church of St Nicholas Deptford Green has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
See Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 1 (1797), pp. 340-371 at British History Online
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Deptford St Nicholas parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Deptford St Nicholas Online Parish Records|
|AC||1813-1906||1813-1906||1754-1921||1754-1921||1813-1921 (gaps)||1813-1921 (gaps)|
|IGI||1564-1730, 1801-1847||1564-1730, 1801-1838|
|KOPC||1558-1730, 1801-1847||1564-1730, 1801-1838|
Original records deposited at London Metropolitan Archives.
Deptford All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Deptford All Saints Parish Online Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for Deptford St Nicholas are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library microfilming for Deptford is collected under the title Census returns for Deptford St Paul. See Deptford St Paul, Kent Genealogy Census records
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.
- Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 March 2012.
- Lewis. Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 March 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Nicholas, Deptford in Greenwich Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.