East Wellow, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to East Wellow, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Wellow, Hampshire|
|Poor Law Union||Romsey|
|Parish registers: 1570|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1783|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WELLOW, EAST (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Romsey, partly in the hundred of Thorngate, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, and partly in the hundred of Amesbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (W.) from Romsey. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans..
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
East Wellow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|GOOG = Internet Archive - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = The Genealogist - (£)|
|EAST WELLOW PARISH Online Records|
Wellow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WELLOW PARISH Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 499-506. Date accessed: 17 June 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 5 October 2013.
- Charles W. Epsom, Index to the Registers of Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials of the Parish of Wellow (London, 1889). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 24 January 2021.