Information icon.png The FamilySearch Research Wiki will be down for maintenance on Sunday, Sept. 27, at 11:59 pm until Monday, Sept 28, 4:00 am EDT.

Edinburgh Parishes

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Scotland Gotoarrow.png Midlothian Gotoarrow.pngEdinburgh Gotoarrow.png Edinburgh Parishes

Here is a comprehensive list of pre-1845 Edinburgh City parishes (Church of Scotland) and their chapels, along with the then known names of all those other religious denominations having chapels or congregations within the City boundary:

High Church -

St Giles Cathedral

The Old Church (South aisle of St. Giles')

Tolbooth Parish

Trinity College Chapel - 1685

Lady Glenorchy Chapel - 1785

New North Church

Tron Church - 1673

Magdalene Chapel Cowgate -

New Grey Friars - 1721

Old Grey Friars - 1722

St. Andrew - 1785

St. George - 1814

Lady Yester's Parish - 1647

St. Mary - 1824

St. Stephen - 1828

Canongate - 1688 St. Cuthbert -

Gardner's Crescent Chapel

Morningside Chapel -

Greenside Leith Walk -

St. John -

Note: The Scotland National Archives suggest or maintain that "all" Church of Scotland registers of baptisms, marriages and burials--were consolidated and submitted to the then Public Record Office in about 1855. However, some local ministers have suggested otherwise, such as at Dundee. This may suggest that there is a reason why some parish registers seem to have a (puzzling) lack of entries, besides mere under-registration of i.e. baptisms and some marriages. For examples, did all those chapels of ease (of the Church of Scotland) out in the more remote villages within the parish boundary really consolidate baptismal entries with those of the mother parish in each case?


Besides the above churches, there were places for worship for the Free Church (at least 10), United Secession (3), Relief Church, Reformed Presbyterians, Original Burghers, Bereans, Original Seceders (2), the Society of Friends (Quakers), Baptists (4), Wesleyans (4), Independents (5), Glassites, Jews, Unitarians, United Christian Church, three Roman Catholic chapels, and Whitehouse St Margaret Convent - 1836.

Here are the names of at least five Scottish Episcopal chapels in this city as of 1845 (see Lewis' "A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland")--

St George Episcopal Chapel (1794)

St James Chapel - 1820

St John's Episcopal Chapel - 1817

St Paul's Episcopal Chapel - 1818

St Peter's Episcopalian Chapel -