England, Kent, Canterbury Parish Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Canterbury Parish Registers
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Canterbury, Kent, England|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Kent|
|Location of Canterbury, Kent, England|
|Location of England|
|Record Type||Parish Registers|
|Canterbury Cathedral Archives, England|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains indexed baptism, marriage, and burial records from the city of Canterbury for the years 1538-1986. The records were filmed at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives, and the index is being created by findmypast.com.
Parish registers have been kept at the local level across England since the mid-1500s. Due to this long and relatively stable tradition, these records are central to English genealogical research as they are often one of the only sources for finding families and individuals in England before the start of civil registration in 1837.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Canterbury Parish Registers.|
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see England Parish Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Name of Town, Parish/Church
- Select Event Type and Year Range (with Volume) to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If you found a christening record, search for birth information in the civil registration
- Use the information found in christening and marriage registers to look for families in the census records
- Continue to search the index for individuals with the same surname
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Note that family members often appear on an individual's vital records, such as in the role of witnesses to a marriage
- Try variations of given names and surnames. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Names were often spelled as scribes heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of search results
- Search the records of nearby parishes. For this collection, nearby parishes could include other Kent parishes outside Canterbury. See the Kent Parishes page for more information
- Search in neighboring counties
- Essex to the north
- London and Surrey to the west
- East Sussex to the south
- The individual in question may not have records in the Church of England at all, but rather might have belonged to a nonconformist denomination. See England Nonconformist Church Records for more information
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in England.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.