England, Devon and Cornwall Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Devon and Cornwall Marriages, 1660-1912
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Devon & Cornwall, England|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Cornwall|
|Location of Devon & Cornwall, England|
|Location of England|
|Devon Archives and Local Studies Service|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains church marriage records from the Diocese of Exeter, covering the period 1660-1912. These records were filmed at the Devon Record Office. Availability of records may vary by year and locality.
A marriage bond and/or allegation are forms that were completed when applying for a marriage license. Allegations were statements saying that there were no legal reasons why the couple should not be married. Bonds were financial agreements requiring the signers to pay a sum of money if the allegation was incorrect.
Until 1876, the Diocese of Exeter covered the counties of Devon and Cornwall on the southwestern peninsula of Great Britain. After 1876, the Diocese of Exeter lost much of its territory to the newly created the Diocese of Truro. Exeter retained most of the county of Devon, and Truro was given the county of Cornwall plus the Devon parishes of Virginstow and St Giles on the Heath. For information on all the parishes historically covered by the Diocese of Exeter, see Cornwall Parishes and Devon Parishes.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following list indicates potential information given in these records. It must be remembered that every record may not provide all of the listed information. Marriage bonds and allegations may include:
- Marriage date
- Marriage location
- Bride’s name
- Groom’s name
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at England, Devon and Cornwall Marriages, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate date of marriage
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
To view images in this collection:
- Look at the England, Devon and Cornwall Marriages, Coverage Table (FamilySearch Historical Records) article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Marriages allegations, Devon and Cornwall, 1640, 1660-1734. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log. Some of the records in this collection may be written in an old script that is challenging to read. Refer to BYU’s Script Tutorial for assistance with reading the records.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Save or print a copy of the image if possible
- Use the estimated age given to calculate an approximate year of birth
- Use the information to find the couple in future census records
- Continue to search the index for people with the same surname to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
- Note that family members often appear on an individual's marriage records as witnesses
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that marriage bonds and allegations only signify an intention to marry. They do not guarantee that the marriage actually took place
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Remember that it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name in a church record
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name, surname, or date range only to return a broader list of possible matches
- Search the records of nearby parishes
- Look at the actual image of the record to verify the information found in the online description, if possible
- The individual in question may not have records in the Church of England at all, but rather might have belonged to a nonconformist denomination. See England Nonconformist Church Records for more information on nonconformist records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
- Cornwall Guided Research
- Devon Guided Research
- England Record Finder
- England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.