England, Durham, Diocese of Durham Original Wills - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Durham, Diocese of Durham Original Wills, 1650-1857
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Durham|
|Location of Durham, England|
|Location of England|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes original wills from 1650-1857. Although many will records before the 17th century are hard to come by, most of the records since then are originals and have kept their validity. The date of the testator's death was often used to endorse wills from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In addition, some original wills were made simply by the testator filling in a pre-printed form with their desires in regards to the disposal of their estates.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
These records are sorted by reference numbers. For assistance with searching, see the section How Do I Search This Collection?.
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for England, Durham, Diocese of Durham Original Wills, 1650-1857.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the deceased
- The approximate date of death
Helpful Hint: The records in this collection are linked to an index on Durham University Probate Database website.
- Fill in as much information as you know and click on Search Database
- The results will provide a link back to the images and/or give you the reference number to look within FamilySearch
- Example: Reference DPR/I/1/1662/C13/1-2) indicates the records are from the year 1662; this person is the 13th individual with records in the surname letter "C"
View the Images[edit | edit source]
If you already know the approximate year and the surname, you can go directly to the images. Otherwise, once you have a reference number you may view images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Reference Number to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Durham Diocese, Registered Wills, 1526-1866. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
- Continue to search the images and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
- Use the age and death date to estimate a birth year. Search for a birth and death records
- If the name of a spouse is found, look for a marriage record
- Use the names of relatives to find the family in censuses
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Be aware that errors (such as name spelling) still may have occurred in the documents, especially if the document was not written by the testator
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Search the records of nearby localities
- Tyne, Wear, and Northumberland to the north
- Cumbria to the west
- North Yorkshire to the south
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Durham.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.