England, Westminster Rate Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Westminster Rate Books, 1634-1900
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Westminster, Middlesex, England|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Middlesex|
|Location of Westminster, Middlesex, England|
|Location of England|
|Record Type||Rate Books|
|City of Westminster Archives Centre|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains an index to and images of taxation records from Westminster City for the years 1634-1900. This collection was originally filmed at the Westminster City Archives and the index was created by Findmypast.
Given the information collected during their creation, these records can serve as a substitute for census records for individuals in the nineteenth century, or as a primary source for an individual's life in the two previous centuries. For more information on the information contained within rate books and how to use these records, follow this link.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
- Name of head of household
- Street address
- Rate owed
- Date of the record
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at England, Westminster Rate Books Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Date of the record
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the England, Westminster Rate Books Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Westminster Rate Books, 1634-1900. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look at the image of the original record, if possible. Index entries contain only the most basic information needed to identify an individual; the original record may contain more information which was not included in the index
- The information will help establish residence in a location. Use that information to search in church and civil records for birth, marriage, and death records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variants of given names and surnames
- For much of the period of this collection, spelling was not standardized; pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Individuals might also have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the year range or search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of search results
- Search the records of nearby locations. For this collection, bordering locations could include other parishes in Middlesex outside Westminster or the city of London proper
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in England.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.