Enskifte Historical Maps of Sweden
The Enskifte was another land reform that primarily started in Skåne, then to Skaraborg, and the rest of the kingdom by 1807. It came about due to dissatisfaction with the Storskifte. It began when Rutger Macklean (an owner of an estate called Svaneholm in Skurup parish) decided to restructure the lands on his estate in 1785. Essentially he re-designed the lots with a lantmätare, creating new farm boundaries and housing locations, each farm having 40 acres on one piece of land (instead of splintered fragments) with a large arable meadow for common use. Then he forced the 701 people living and working on the lots to comply with the new design. Of the 701 people involved, 102 chose to terminate their lease and leave the estate. The land reform turned out to be very successful for the Svaneholm estate. This lead to a government ordinance that forced all the estates in Skåne to do a Enskifte. The Enskifte land reform spanned from 1803 – 1827. Although the Enskifte was carried out kingdomwide, it was difficult to do in landscapes outside of Skåne. It was never carried out in Dalarna, Norrland, or Finland.
How to find Enskifte Historical Maps[edit | edit source]
1. Go to the Historiska kartor section of the Lantmäteriet website (Firefox - Jan. 2019) at: Historiska kartor.
2. The Historiska kartor (Historical Maps) window opens. In the upper right hand corner, click on the link English
3. The English version of this website opens. It will be easier to use the Advanced Search options. To do this, click on the link Advanced Search
4. The Advanced Search window opens. Select the Archive you want to investigate from the drop down list. Usually this will be the Regional Archive
5. Choose the County from the drop down list. If you're not sure of the County name see a list at: Counties of Sweden
6. If you know the Municipality, click on the button Municipality and select which Municipality. If you know the Parish, click on the button Parish and select which Parish.
7. If you wish to see a list of all the maps available for your search, then skip this step. Otherwise fill in one or more of these last four fields to limit the number of maps.
- Select the Region Name.
- Select the year you want to start the search. It must be greater than 1599.
- Select the year you want to end the search. It must be less than 1929.
- Select the type of map you want. For help with translation see the Historical Maps of Sweden Word List.
8. Then click on the button Search
9. The Search Results window opens. You will see a list with 3 columns.
- The first column is a link to the map itself. Click on that link to see the map.
- The middle column is the type of map Not all the items are maps, some are documents. And some documents have maps. For help with translation see the Historical Maps of Sweden Word List.
- The last column is the year when the map or document was made.
References[edit | edit source]
Ångström, Karl-Ingvar and Johansson, Björn, Kart-forskning Sverige Släktforskarförbunds Handböcker 3, Svärd & Söner, Falköping, 2011
Wikipedia Community, Enskiftet, Swedish Wikipedia 2012
Gernandt, C.E., Nordisk Familjebok "Skifte af jord", Halmstad 1904 – 1926