FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 12 June 2014
WebEx ID: 0000; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: Local / International: 1-801-240-9700 U.S. Toll-Free: 1-855-537-4000; 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
- Lise for her help on describing the contents of databases listed under births.
- Caleb for his eye for design and theory.
- All of you for your great suggestions
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Progress on the software update?
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
Help others make a difference: Invite your friends to Yammer.com
Posts to FS Wiki Contributors group June 5 and later:
- Projects conversation
- Creation of County Seats pages: over 40 replies Summary: (please read for yourself, however)
- Creation of city pages is what started this conversation. The Community Council was against doing city pages. County seats were never a question.
- So many of these are red links (no page exists) in the "infobox" on the county pages. Red links is one of the things the Support team watches for.
- City or county seat pages are useful in getting local knowledge
- In most states, the county is the principle place where users look. Therefore, if something is discovered by doing work on a city page, it should be linked to from the appropriate topic on the county page.
- Working on these pages can help alert local libraries and societies about the wiki, and get their input on what they want said about their collections and services. Some have even asked to have a wiki presentation for their staff. It's a way to be a great ambassador.
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
- Review of changes made since last conversation
Discussion: do these pages have enough value to create/ update them for other states?
- New pages created during the "new format" process:
- Illinois Online Birth, Marriage, Death Records. This provided wonderful focus, but can we now place it strategically on the Illinois Vital Records page?
- Illinois Genealogy Local Resources Incorporated the old Archives and Libraries and Societies pages.
- Illinois Genealogy Records with Birth Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pages updated during the process:
- Illinois Online Genealogy Records Reformatted, added learn more links (thanks again, Caleb)
- Illinois County Creation Dates and Parent Counties Made it sortable, added boundary changes links.
- Template:IL-sidebar Changed archives and libraries links to the local resources page; also Societies; added Social Networking Groups, Websites
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
- Our discussion included Giuseppe, Caleb, and Danielle, about the Community Council and the Governance Council.
- Community Council needs nominations soon for the members whose terms are expiring
- Governance council: Giuseppe and Danielle have final decision. Other members to be determined. Expected that a member of the Community Council will be invited.
Items to pose to Community Council
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
Attending: Barbara, David, Jim L, Judy, Lise, Ruth, Linda, Giuseppe, Caleb, Wilma, Van Celaya
Kudos: Wilma--> Lise - for making the IL pages easier to search Lise --> Wilma - for reaching out and helping
Welcome to Van Celaya (new attendee)
Support will cancel meetings on July 3rd and July 24th. This group will decide closer to the date(s)
When making new pages, make in sandbox before making "live". Wilma requested Giuseppe to put this on Yammer.
Discussion on Illinois page - regarding birth records available internally and externally. Transclude information from one pg to another.
Charles will take minutes next week