FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 22 Jan 2015
Join the discussion, ask questions, and share
The Wiki currently has 93,545 articles in English
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Kudos go to
- 3 Business/Announcements
- 4 Agenda items
- 5 Discussions and Proposals Follow-up
- 6 News to be publicized
- 7 Meeting Notes/Minutes
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
- RootsTech Nauvoo Cafe breakfast: 8:30 a.m. Friday the 13th.
- Wiki edit fest -- 2 hours, 1-3 p.m. gather in a room at the Library, Wednesday 11th (innovator day), Danielle will contact Library, book computer lab, Lise would like someone to take photos so she can get a visual.
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
- Take a nostalgic walk through the “History of the Main Page” for a pictorial review of the changing face of the Research Wiki’s home page.
- Jim Landucci's current version for the Main page. Governance Council appreciates the suggestions. Under advisement.
- Check out the current look of Contributor Help Great work, Charles and Caleb!
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
This week: Review notes from last week.
- Some FHCs are linking to outside pages. Clarification is being sought through Lisa McBride, they have their own website and Facebook pages.
- Index and better search routine: new upgrade may have a better search. May be getting a plug-in that improve the search to similar to wikipedia
- Link to some of Riverton's guides?
- Wiki is not priority. If it takes more than 15 minutes, they move on. "Low hanging fruit" use a different term to get people to the best records.
- Drill down our links to be sure we are taking them as close to the information as possible
- Less is more -- fewer words, the more likely they will get an answer to their question
- "Didn't find what you were looking for? Get them to a place where they can read more
- Just enough, just in time, give understanding, not just information
- Don't dummy down the content, make it usable on the web, which is different than in a book.
- Interest in Wiki comes AFTER they have had some experience with Family History and are ready to learn more.
What ideas and insights did we gain:
- For future meetings?
- For the Wiki?
- For recruiting?
Suggestions for February 19th:
- Guest speakers
- Discussion topics: RootsTech and non-conferencing
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Governance Council Report[edit | edit source]
- Items to pose to Governance Council
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Going into 2015 - council will be involved in getting projects going to increase content. Council will be more proactive participants in ongoing tasks.
- Items to pose to Community Council
Discussions and Proposals Follow-up[edit | edit source]
|FamilySearch Wiki - Contributor's Meeting|
|Insert most recent at the top of list
News to be publicized[edit | edit source]
| News to be publicized (on the "Community News" page)|
Insert most recent at the top of list
access Community News
|(New, Review, Final, Rejected, or Posted)|
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
- please post below this header