FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 31 July 2014
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Charles Smith, the rescuer. Wiki Content team (especially Ruth and Joy) for all their great work on Arkansas pages. We're trying to get them ready for testing.
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
17 July-31 July
CHARLES SMITH'S tip of the week: Internal Links are created by using opening and closing double brackets around the title of the Wiki article you want to link to. If no article matches the word or phrase you put in the link will turn red. If the internal article has a different title that the word or phrase you want to use as a link to it, then put the article title in front of the word or phrase separated by a pipe External Links are created by using single opening and closing brackets with the URL then space, then then word or phrase withing the brackets. External Link Google Search
- Another tip: Have you ever found a page that all messed up and you could not figure out what was wrong? Try this. Put one section at a time of the problem page on a sandbox page and save it. If that part seems ok, add another section. You should soon find the problem section. You now have a smaller area of code to look at rather than trying to figure out the problem on the whole page.
CHARLES SMITH put together a chart of the approved colors for FamilySearch.org. Selection of Colors for FamilySearch.org
LAVERA PARRIS reported the Letheringsett, Norfolk page here is a list of FamilySearch sites not working. They are also used in the table in that section. - help needed
- New Number for this Wiki Contributor's meeting: 0000
- Taxonomy of topics Charles Smith is checking sidebars and adjusting to the taxonomy.
Guiseppe Martinengo We are creating Wiki city pages for a country following a pattern similar to that used for the the county pages in the US.
Currently, in the US we do not use a template that includes the information of the entire page, even if there are many specific templates inside the page. Do you think that to create a template (for this other country) that includes all the main topics in the page, at least for pages with less information, would be a mistake?
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
Danielle Batson was scheduled, but she is unable to attend due to a 4-hour meeting scheduled by her manager. She will be with us on the 7th of August.
- Something for moderators/adopters?
- Governance Council, Community Council and its affect on the Wiki
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
Wanted Pages overview: 27,000 + red links are in the Wiki. Using Excel, these are being analyzed for:
- Source of the red links
- Does the info already exist in the Wiki?
- Set priorities
- Projects/assignments. In some cases, the link may need to be renamed or removed from several pages
- Increase awareness.
- Can also notify moderators, adopters, contributors
- Search the courts of the surrounding parishes (425 links) and Diocese of Not Applicable (427 links) These came from the Infobox posted on many parishes.
- The pages are needed, per Steve Cotrell
- Create the page and explain more deeply. This explanation is needed, since the page name is confusing
- Train several people to unlink the explanation and create a "Learn More" link (which would be clearer, but definitely requires a lot of Wiki work.)
- Several are town pages wanted in the US:
- A project can be to identify if this is a county seat and if not, remove the link (but not the town name)
- There are a LOT of "wanted" town pages in the 27000 that have been downloaded. Excel will help us identify them (show entry 319)
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Items to pose to Community Council
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header)