FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 7 Aug 2014
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
Danielle Batson, Co chair of the Wiki Governance Council
- Still in early stages with the Council. Years ago there was not such a group who could make decisions/changes. Guiseppe, Lisa McBride, Nathan Murphy, Caleb, Baerbel Johnson are also on the council. Bear with us a couple more weeks.
- Usability testing: Testing:Usability page to collect feedback. When finished, they will post the results on that page. Tab format (version 1) has won hands down. She showed us graphic responses to the questions.
- Suggestion to post a website banner for more participation, Suggested FHC directors to also give feedback.
- Contributors: Share the Usability testing on Facebook and Yammer
- Other tests on the same page: could people find information? High rate of success in comparing the new page with the How to Find page. Not many beginners took the test. Also did a test of new missionaries. The new page is testing better. Great graphics!
- Trying to make this better for all users.
- Question about renaming the pages. The decision has not yet been made. They are studying possible impacts, ramifications of doing a redirect. What impact does it have on our own search engine.
- Can only do one redirect on a page, but it can be cured through a "double-redirect" help in the maintenance pages
- Almost sure that change the title is better. SEO is tests less well.
Next week's guest speaker: Dorothy Horan, Historical Records team manager
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group. 31 September - 7 August
- CHARLES SMITH tip of the week
problem: little edit boxes on the right side of an article (they are usually opposite a
heading) that interfere with an image or table
solution: use HTML to size headers example: instead of ===Heading=== use the less than/more than with h3 and /h3 between them
- CHARLES SMITH noticed Missouri has a link to a Wiki page Missouri State Archives containing only a link to the desired website Could a possible project be to check all links on State pages to be sure they have something valuable in them?
- CHARLES SMITH proposed a typical left sidebar for State pages SIDEBAR see his explanation in his Yammer post
- This is an important issue for wiki contributors to consider
- RANDY HOFFMANN notice a Wiki page with a bunch of special formatting and a slew of links that weren't click-able. When he moved a div closure everything was fixed. CHARLES SMITH commented that when this happens the problem is usually a misplaced closing div tag.
- David Smith: We've come across an issue lately, when a template will cut out part of the link and replace it with ellipses.
- Has this issue been understood/resolved?
- Charles Smith: New Image map is now in place
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Items to pose to Community Council
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header)