FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 9 January 2014
WebEx ID: 0000 Join the meeting; Dial-in number: Local / International: 1-801-240-9700 U.S. Toll-Free: 1-855-537-4000; 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Overview of this meeting (added Jan 13, 2014)
Summary Jan 9th Community Meeting
1. David Smith -User Guidance- started Nov 2013 replaces Sylvia
2. Wilma involved with user testing (formats) with Katherine Grant
3. Robin wants news articles - let her know
4. New HTML learning class will start in a few weeks - see agenda for links to prior classes
5. Comm. Council report - discussion of UK pages (unweildy Nav Boxes)
- Nat. Gen. Society is assigned projects - leave alone
6. (Wilma) Continue work on WA pgs - trying for a pattern workable for all states
A. pattern for maintenance
B. Inviting local expertise
7.Ancestry collections FS/Anc been trading for yrs. Images coming in digitalized. Doubling cameras in the field. Having to pull back on some images due to privacy issues.
8. Caleb (and Charle) - watching multiple wikis across the web - seeing different uses and ways to display info (tabs/clickable images). Ways to make things easier to search. Service Learning Council meets Mon (13th). ex. Judgepedia.org; wikihow.com
Welcome [edit | edit source]
Kudos go to
[edit | edit source]
Charles for teaching us HTML as well as Mark. Charles is working on a page that lets us know how to fix problems we run across. For now it's in his sandbox page
Moderators and Adopters
[edit | edit source]
- Conversation in the call:
David Smith is with us today. He's a MBA student at BYU and started with FHC in Nov 2013, Since Sylvia's leaving he's been asked to join us. He's in USER GUIDANCE.
1. manage citations and 2. wiki articles for 'collections' under 'learn more'
- Wilma is doing user test. Katherine Grant is letting Wilma be the user. Testing Massachusetts pages in three different formats. If one comes out as clear winner, that will be the format used.
- Robin is looking for new articles
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
- Suggestions for news items that pertain to the Wiki:
- What community Wiki projects do you know of that are currently going on?
Updates and follow up[edit | edit source]
- Our meetings are going to be getting more participants. We need to manage the noise that comes from that. We ask that everyone go on mute and go off mute to ask a question or give feedback.
- Wiki text class (HTML 5) given by Charles 12:00 Mountain every Monday.
The WebEx Meeting ID is 0000
- Follow updates about RootsTech 2014 on the mobile app, Flipboard.
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Wilma... (and Steve) Navagation boxes. Example "Links to box" at bottom of page on some England pages is unweildy due to size, example Acomb, Yorkshire. Is there a way to divide this in some fashion? We want to listen to all suggestions and come to a conclusion.
National Genealogical Society is not a community project. Consultants and missionaries have been assigned projects.
Items to pose to Community Council[edit | edit source]
What wiki projects are you working on?[edit | edit source]
Please share how things are going. Get feedback.
From Wilma ..looking at Washington pages quick start / topics ...INTRO seen in wikitext...trying to set up a pattern ...adaptable to every state. For maintenance we can update in one place and not page by page. We anticipate by inviting input we might get more collaboration. One, pattern for maintence and two, inviting local expertise.
Caleb was showing judgepedia.org as an example of another wiki and we discussed using tabs making more searchable *even though in prior time it was told not to do it, * what would make our wiki pages more useable, easier to search.
searchable or clickable maps, tables,
it would take more of restructuring. Newbies need things easier.
wikihow.com is a wiki with pictures
Charles and Caleb will each work independently looking into this
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
New Agenda Items[edit | edit source]