FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 9 Oct 2014
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content Team: Bo gave a report of some of the activities. Excel spreadsheets to make major wiki edits faster.
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Some Google searching problems were not picking up Wiki pages, because Google was calling up beta and current versions. It has been resolved, and Google will soon re-index so they move to the front again.
Update of Amazon cloud - that will be mentioned in the Tech meeting at 2
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
- I haven't been able to log in to the wiki for the past few days. Every time I try, my username and password are accepted, but when the page refreshes I'm not logged in. Any thoughts on this?
- HTML training Wednesdays today at 10:00 am Mountain Time. WebEx meeting number 0000.
- Tip: More on Hot Keys: Want to magnify the screen you are looking at? Instead of looking for the three lines in the upper right hand corner of the tool bar and clicking on it and then clicking of the percentage of magnification, just hold down the Ctrl key and tap the + plus sign key above the = sign. It will enlarge itself. If you want to reduce it, hold down the Ctrl key and tap the - sign next to the 0 key. It will then reduce in size.
- Tip: More Hot Keys: Ever closed a tab by mistake? It is a pain to have to reopen and find the place you left off. Take heart. Hit the Ctrl and Shift key along with the letter "t" and it will magically reappear again.
- Have you deleted something in the wiki and realized that was a mistake? Take heart again. Hit the Ctrl key along with the letter "z" key and it too, will magically reappear.
- What are the advantages of coding in HTML as opposed to Wikitext?
- First Wikitext have limited coding options. Exacted placement of items on a page can only be accomplished with HTML as with div tags and absolute position tags. Creation of sidebars, infoboxes and navboxes is easier with HTML.
- There are other advantages which can be seen on w3schools.com. And the one capability one gets from knowing HTML is the ability to program on the internet itself. You will have the ability to create, program, and maintain your own websites.
- Sometimes it feels as though we’re leaning more towards static published pages and less towards a wiki. Do we want to encourage or discourage community assistance?
- I am concerned about increasing the difficulty of editing a page. With html there is sometimes more than one way to reach the same outcome, so someone with even limited knowledge of html might not recognize what command is actually being executed. I think wiki pages should be designed with the idea that anyone can edit them.
- Challenge to make it clearer so anyone can edit. Ideas: put some of the HTML coding in templates? Such as for tabs, etc.
- Editing text needs to be easy to see so people can add/edit content, not formatting.
- Fine line between html formatting and ease of user input.
- The design oriented pages are ones that may not need to be changed that often. Standardized and user-friendly. Moderation in all things.
- Beta version currently uses wikitext, not visual editor. Don't know when we will have Visual Editor, but need another server before we can. That is part of why things are taking longer. When we change to Amazon Cloud it should work and we can upgrade. Don't know how much time we'll have after the upgrade to test, etc.
- Link in chat that says Visual Editor is still in flux (community, not private enterprise): http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor. We will now keep using the most current.
- MediaWiki community will help and we help them. CKEditor is not being maintained.
- Not bug proof, but the community is involved and upgrading. Wikipedia editors are not using visual editor?
- Next Tuesday"
- Recording of the October 4, 2014 FamilySearch Wiki Contributors Meeting https://meet.lds.org/orion/playback.do?rID=42300&rKey=010000…
- Has this been posted to the Contributors meeting page?
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
- Caleb, Danielle, perhaps Jane will show documentation page for templates.
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Items to pose to Community Council
Discussions and Proposals[edit | edit source]
|FamilySearch Wiki - Contributor's Meeting|
|Insert most recent at the top of list
News to be publicized[edit | edit source]
| News to be publicized (on the "Community News" page)|
Insert most recent at the top of list
access Community News
|(New, Review, Final, Rejected, or Posted)|
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header)