FamilySearch Wiki:The Purpose of Site Moderation
Moderation builds the right atmosphere.
Community sites grow as they cultivate an atmosphere of cooperation, brotherhood, and community. Contributors will become more active as they realize their work is appreciated by the community.
Moderators direct the improvement of content.
Active communities shepherd the creation of quality content. Moderators serve several such functions:
- Review, edit or showcase content
- Promote the creation of content as per customer needs
- Review and approve the creation of new content types
- Disambiguate content titles to improve search results. (Example:“Mercury” is a planet, element, auto brand, record label, and Roman God.)
Moderators drive improvements in behavior.
- Review, approve, interpret, and clarify policies.
- Solve disputes regarding content creation and site management.
- Educate users in appropriate community behavior.
- Govern the site in languages that FCHD doesn’t cover.
Moderators grow the community.
They promote the site to potential users and recruit other moderators as the site grows.