FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Czech Republic Archives
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Project Leader
- 3 Task List
- 4 Instructions
- 4.1 Step 1: Access the Scanned Gazetteer Pages
- 4.2 Step 2: Select the locality or localities you want to work on
- 4.3 Step 3: Find the locality from the task list in the Bohemian and Moravian Gazetteers
- 4.3.1 Step 4: Find the correct archive for your locality
- 4.3.2 Step 5: Find the alternate place name for your locality
- 4.3.3 For multiple localities with the same name or localities not in the gazetteer spreadsheet
- 4.3.4 Step 7: Check the PDF for localities that are not on the spreadsheet
- 4.3.5 Step 8: Update the task list
Purpose[edit | edit source]
For each locality in the Czech Republic visually verify there is an archive and alternate place name listed. If no archive or alternate place name is already listed, then locate and enter the correct archive and alternate place name.
Project Leader[edit | edit source]
Task List[edit | edit source]
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Step 1: Access the Scanned Gazetteer Pages[edit | edit source]
Download both the Bohemian Gazetteer and the Moravian Gazetteer. You will need to download them for this project, due to the large size of each file. Google will warn you that they can't scan the file for viruses. These files are safe to download.
Step 2: Select the locality or localities you want to work on[edit | edit source]
- Using the task list, choose a locality (column c) and put your name in the column marked contributor name.
- Check the archive column (column F) and the alternate place name column to see if they have been entered on that row or not. If they have been entered in, please double-check them. If the archive in the PDF is different from what is in the spreadsheet, put it in the notes column. If the archive and alternate place name columns are empty, move to step 3.
Step 3: Find the locality from the task list in the Bohemian and Moravian Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- If the archive and alternate place name columns are blank. Check both Moravian and Bohemian Gazetteers you downloaded for that locality.
- You will have six or seven columns for each page, depending on the gazetteer you're consulting:
- Alternate spellings or names for that locality
- Roman Catholic parish for this location
- The archive for that location and the number of respective parishes
- Numbers of parish in use
- The respective judicial district for that location.
- Lists the country.
- For this project you will use columns 1,2,4 and occasionally 6.
- The gazetteers are in alphabetical order by locality.
- Some pages were scanned more than once because the quality of the first scan was poor. If you notice missing columns or information on a page, scroll forward a page or two to check for a better scan of the page.
Step 4: Find the correct archive for your locality[edit | edit source]
- Look at column 4 in the gazetteer file you downloaded to identify the archive. They are all identified by the letter in that column
- E= Plzen
- L= Litomerice
- M= Praha Mesto
- P= Praha
- S= Opava
- T= Trebon
- Z= Zamrsk
- A= Brno City
- O= Olomouc
- Enter the correct archive name in the archive column of the gazetteer spreadsheet.
Step 5: Find the alternate place name for your locality[edit | edit source]
- Look at column 2 on the PDF gazetteer for your locality. If there is an alternate place name, enter it on the gazetteer spreadsheet in column C.
- You will find that some alternate place names have diacritics. We want these included in the spreadheet. Follow instructions below for how to type using diacritics.
- For Windows:
- Download the German keyboard.
- Click the start button.
- Go to settings.
- Click time and language.
- Click language on the menu on the left.
- Click add a preferred language.
- Type Deutsch (German) in the search box.
- Select next.
- You will have some boxes that are checked and unchecked. Make sure that basic typing and install language pack are checked.
- Click install.
- Once installed, you can switch to German by clicking the ENG on the black bar at the bottom of your pc on the right.
- You can now type in German, using your regular keyboard or onscreen keyboard. To open your onscreen keyboard, type onscreen keyboard in the search box next to the start button and click open.
- Switching languages for iOs
For multiple localities with the same name or localities not in the gazetteer spreadsheet[edit | edit source]
- If there is more than one locality with the same name compare the judicial district (column 6) in the book with the judicial district (column G) in the gazetteer spreadsheet to determine which archive goes with that locality. Then add the archive from column 4 on the row to the gazetteer spreadsheet.
- Look at the judicial district column and compare it to the judicial district in the gazetteer spreadsheet.
- Look at column 4 in the PDF gazetteer to determine which archive to add to the gazetteer spreadsheet.
- If you're looking at the very first listing of Adamov, you'll see that it's in the Brno Venkov judicial district and the correct archive to add to the gazetteer spreadsheet is Brno.
Step 7: Check the PDF for localities that are not on the spreadsheet[edit | edit source]
- Check the locality on the next line to see if it is on the spreadsheet.
- If the next locality is on the spreadsheet, go back to the second part of step 2.
- If it is not, add a row to the spreadsheet and highlight it in yellow.
- Enter in the locality, alternate place name(s), judicial district and archive.
Step 8: Update the task list[edit | edit source]
- Put the date in the date completed column of the task list.