FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject England Parish Tables: Fixing National Burial Index Years
Purpose[edit | edit source]
To change the National Burial Index (NBI) years in every table to correspond with each parish.
Website[edit | edit source]
National Burial Index for England & Wales parish list. Scroll down to the county.
Task List[edit | edit source]
|Yorkshire East Riding||Parish List|
|Yorkshire North Riding||Parish List|
|Yorkshire West Riding||Parish List|
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Step 1[edit | edit source]
- 1. Choose a county to work in and click on the corresponding Parish List.
- 2. Go to a parish page (links are in the Parish List for each county). Find the "Church records" heading and click "Edit source" next to it.
- 3. We will be fixing the NBI years to be the correct years for each parish.
- The NBI is code we will be changing is:
- The code is found here:
Step 2[edit | edit source]
- 1. Go to National Burial Index Parish List and scroll down to the county you are working on.
- 2. Find the parish you are currently working on in the table. The table lists the starting and ending years for burial records in each parish.
If Parish in Table Multiple Times[edit | edit source]
The parish may be listed multiple times if there are multiple churches or congregations in the parish (such as Church of England, Quakers, Methodists, etc.). The type of congregation can be found in the "Dedication" column. Only add Church of England congregations.
- For example: the parish of Ampthill has the Methodist, Quakers, and St. Andrew dedications in the parish.
To determine which dedications are Church of England, look for ones that begin with "St" or are called "All Saints" or "Holy Trinity". These are the Church of England chapels. Ignore the congregations of Baptist, Methodist, Congregational, Quakers, Workhouse, Episcopal, Protestant Dissenters, and Asylum.
- For example: for the parish of Amptill, ignore the Methodist and Quakers denominations and only add the years for St Andrew (1602-1852) to the table.
Step 3[edit | edit source]
- 1. Go back to the code and change the years in the NBI to match what the table says.
Step 4[edit | edit source]
- 1. Put "Changing NBI years" in the Summary box and then click "Save page."
If Parish Not in Table[edit | edit source]
If the parish is not found in the NBI table, delete the NBI section from the church records table. There are 2 places in the table that need to be deleted:
NOTE: If you are unsure what to delete, put a note in the comments column of the spreadsheet and we will delete it for you.