FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Massachusetts Town Clerk Information
Current Projects page Massachusetts Town Clerk Information
PURPOSE[edit | edit source]
Adding Town Clerk information to Massachusetts town pages.
CONTACT[edit | edit source]
Task Page[edit | edit source]
INSTRUCTIONS[edit | edit source]
1. Go to the Massachusetts Town Clerk Task List and choose a county. Put your name on the list for that county.
2. When you go to that county page on the wiki, you will find a listing for all of the towns in that county. This town listing is what you will work from to find the information you will need to enter onto the wiki pages.
3. Click on your first town name which will take you to that page in the wiki. Make sure there is not already information for the Town Clerk on the page. It should be located near the top of the page (around Town Hall if that heading is present). If not, go on to Step 4.
4. Using Massachusetts Sec. of State website, find the information for the town you are working on.
5. If there is already a heading of Town Hall, you will place this information under that heading. Create a heading for Town Clerk (see instructions below if you have not made a heading before).
Once you have opened the edit screen, go to the end of the Town Hall line and hit return. Type in the words Town Clerk. Highlight those words and go up to the Format font section and choose Heading 3. This will change the words Town Clerk into a heading.
then hit return again, change the Format Font back to normal and begin entering all of the information under that heading (address, phone number, e-mail, website etc). If needed, change the copied address from all uppercase letters to upper and lower case as appropriate.
6. Make the e-mail address into a clickable link by highlighting the e-mail address you entered onto the wiki page. Go to the edit bar just below the name of the wiki article at the top and click on the Link button. A box will open. In the "Link" field, type "mailto:" and the e-mail address of the town clerk. Then click "ok."
8. Enter “added town clerk info” in the edit summary box and save your work.
9. Check the page to make sure your work looks the way you think it should and you are ready to move on to the next town. (see example below)
Once you have completed an entire county, go back to the Task List and enter the completed date.