FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Support/Responsibilities and Assignments
Wiki Support Responsibilities and Assignments
- 1 Wiki Community
- 2 Wiki Policies and Guidelines
- 3 Wiki Maintenance
- 4 Wiki Help
- 5 Following are the "things to do" during each shift:
Wiki Community[edit | edit source]
Priority 1: Support existing volunteers[edit | edit source]
- Communication through Salesforce (including uploads of images and files) and talk pages
- When you receive emails on changes, review the changes for accuracy.
- Watch for "teaching moments" on your 'watched pages'. If you find editing issues/errors take the opportunity to teach and share with others. This could provide good material to present for training time in Missionary Meeting.
Assignments to Support Existing Volunteers[edit | edit source]
- 2. Answer questions on talk pages as needed - Everyone
- 3. Upload images and files (Salesforce) -LaVera
- 4. Liaison to community councils - LaVera
- 5. Management/enforcement of guiding principles and policies in the wiki. This will be less about content than interactions. Pay special attention to interactions among others. - Everyone
- 7. Support Documentation - LaVera
- 8. Watching for candidates and recruiting for the support team - Everyone
- 9. Managing rights - LaVera, Giuseppe
- 10. Managing roles and assignments -
- 11. WikiProject management - Danielle
- 12. Technical issues - Charles
- 13. Salesforce Knowledge Articles - Linda,
- 14. Management/enforcement of guiding principles and policies in the wiki (not the Style Guide, but about how people interact with each other)
- 15. Support Documentation
Priority 2:Welcoming/helping new volunteers[edit | edit source]
- Welcoming Committee
- Training new volunteers
- Volunteer recruiting management
Assignments to Welcome/Help New Volunteers[edit | edit source]
Priority 3: Supporting international wikis[edit | edit source]
- Help build foundation of support and maintenance in other wikis
- Assist with translation of all pages as requested and able.
Assignments to Support International Wikis[edit | edit source]
- 1. Help build foundation of support and maintenance in other wikis - Charles
Wiki Policies and Guidelines[edit | edit source]
Priority 1: Assignment Management[edit | edit source]
The Wiki provides several different types of assignments/responsibilities. Having an understanding of the different jobs and the process by which a user can have their particular job assignment changed is critical. The management of the roles of different users will be an ongoing task for the Wiki Support Team Leaders.
- Manage the assignments for all support staff who come and go.
- Manage other assignments within the wiki held by staff, missionaries, volunteers, and the general wiki community.
- See the following pages for details about role management:
- Administrators in the wiki will come and go. The role will need changing for those who are no longer administrators.
- Contacting administrators (also known as Sysops or system operators)
- Reviewers are typically those who are assigned to upload images to the wiki. Reviewers are constantly changing, therefore the role will need to be removed when the user is no longer assigned to upload images. See Reviewer Approval Procedures for instructions on assessing a request from a patron to be a reviewer and steps to be followed for training them.
- Helpful Links:
- Moderators for the wiki content will come and go. The moderator role assigned to the users will be changed accordingly. See Moderator Approval Procedures for instructions in handling requests from individuals wishing to be Moderators. Pages in the wiki related to the moderator role include:
Wiki Maintenance[edit | edit source]
Currently assigned maintenance tasks on the Wiki: all Missionaries
Maintenance Templates[edit | edit source]
- Be familiar with all the Maintenance Templates.
- Review the documentation for each template. The documentation can be found on each individual template page.
- Review the category page for each template to see the current list of pages that display the template.
- Provide support and follow-up on the maintenance templates. Contributing community members should be encouraged to respond to the requests for content contained within each individual template: (citations needed, ambiguous page title, outdated articles, etc.)
- A system for reporting the status of the maintenance templates needs to be developed.
Wiki Help[edit | edit source]
Priority 1: Watching Important Content[edit | edit source]
- Go through the help pages that watch may be under your area of responsibility. (You could watch all Help pages, for example, or just a sub-set of them.)
Assignments to add or improve the Content of pages in the Wiki[edit | edit source]
- The Red Links within the Wiki: Upon assignment, members of the Support Team can create pages to fill the red links in Templates or Navigation boxes.
- These are done by assignment or in Project groups
Content, Research and Translation Wiki Missionaries[edit | edit source]
- Missionaries are trained on the Wiki but are then assigned to the Content, Research or Translation Projects or Teams
Following are the "things to do" during each shift:[edit | edit source]
Keep the Wiki Running[edit | edit source]
Assignments for FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Support/To Do as Scheduled[edit | edit source]
- Dead links -
- Stub articles -
- Orphaned pages - Myra
- Redirects - dwsmith2
- Duplication/Merging -
- Ambiguous page titles -
- Miscellaneous -
- Internal/external links - LaVera Elder Heder
- Requested moves -
- Archive Requests - Charles
- Red Links - Myra
- Category cleanup - Beverly
- Administrative Maintenance - LaVera, Charles, Linda
Update Locations and Topics[edit | edit source]
- Location, SEO and Breadcrumbs:Everyone has helped THANKS!! As this is a continuing project please add these to any new page in your chosen locations.
Priority 2: Wiki Tours, Demos, Overviews, etc.[edit | edit source]
Numerous articles about using the wiki exist as content pages in the wiki. Overall reviews, organization, and content improvement is an ongoing task for the tier two community. All pages related to tours, demos, overviews, etc. should be identified, edited, and managed as needed on an ongoing basis:
- The wiki Help:Tour page(s) were created to help people use the wiki. Basically this is a different type of help. Revisions to the content may be needed.
- The Help:Videos and Lessons page lists the multimedia demos available in the wiki.
- The Help:Navigation page is another page that was created to help the users understand and use the wiki to find answers to their research questions.