Family History Library Policies
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Family History Library is closed until further notice. Although our doors are closed, we are still available to serve you with special resources. For the latest Family History Library status updates, please refer to the FamilySearch newsroom
What you need to know before you visit the FHL[edit | edit source]
- Set cellular phones to silence or vibrate. Phones should not “ring” in the Library. Quiet cell phone conversations are permitted in the Library. Please be respectful of those around you. Library staff is authorized to request that guests discontinue phone conversations.
- Do not leave personal belongings unattended. The library is not responsible for items that are lost, stolen or damaged. We encourage guests with laptop computers to lock them to the furniture where they are seated.
- If you plan to vacate a microfilm reader for more than 60 minutes or a computer for more than 15 minutes, please take your material with you. If demand is high materials may be removed by staff and stored at the Access Services window.
- Announcements are made 45 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes prior to closing of the Library. Please leave the Library prior to closing time.
- Food and drinks are permitted only in the main floor snack room. (Water bottles with closed lids are permitted.)
- Animals: No animals are allowed in the Family History Library unless they are trained service animals assisting persons with disabilities.
- Clothing and Dress Standards: Appropriate dress is required in the Family History Library which includes shirt, pants and shoes at all times.
- Children under twelve must be accompanied by an adult.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the building or on the grounds.