Finland, Turku-Pori, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Finland, Turku-Pori, Church Records, 1667-1900
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Finland|
|Location of Turku-Pori, Finland|
|Map of Finland, 1939-1960|
|Title in the Language:||Swedish: Finland, Åbo och Björneborg, Kyrokoböcker, 1667-1900 |
Finnish: Suomi, Turun ja Porin, Kirkonkirjat, 1667-1900
|National Archives Service of Finland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of church records for the county of Turku-Pori, Finland. It covers the years 1667 to 1900.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Finland, Turku-Pori, Church Records, 1667-1900.|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Communion records list the inhabitants of a parish by village, farm, and household. The head of the household appears first and other household members next. The records generally list the following information:
- Each person’s name and occupation or his or her relationship to the head of the household
- Each person’s birth date and birthplace and possibly marriage date and death date
- The place to or from which a person moved and the moving dates
- Circumstances such as poverty, illness, illegitimacy, and committed offenses
Earlier records have less information than later ones.
More information about these records and addition church records is available in the wiki article Finland Church Records.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- Name of your ancestor
- Identifying information such as residence and event date
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Archive
- Select Series and Title
- Select Volume and Year to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details
- Add this new information to your records of each family
- Look for leads to other records about your ancestors
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Finland Record Finder to find other records
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume
- Search the indexes and records of nearby parishes and communities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Finland.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.