Frederick Maryland Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
DUE TO CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS, THE FAMILY HISTORY CENTER IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS MESSAGE WILL BE UPDATED AS CONDITIONS AFFECTING OPERATION CHANGE.
The Frederick Maryland Family History Center is convenient for people in Frederick County and surrounding counties but people from anywhere are invited to visit and use our facilities.
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 199 North Place, Frederick, Maryland 21701 United States
- Second driveway, at the rear of the building. Center is identified with a "Family History Center" sign.
- Ring the bell for admission.
- Language: English
- Tuesday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Wednesday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Thursday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Evenings by appointment (Call 240-818-1937)
1st Sat in April and Oct
Thanksgiving period Thu-Sat
Christmas period including week of Christmas through New Years Day observed
The Center is also closed for school closings due to inclement weather. When schools open late, the Center may be closed. Please call 240-818-1937 before coming to confirm the Center is open. The Center is run by non-paid volunteer staff, and may also close due to Staff illness or unplanned absence.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Watch for events- they will be posted as soon as information is available.[edit | edit source]
Getting Help With Your Family History Work
Any time the Center is open, one of our Staff members should be able to help you with a variety of family history situations. Appointments are not required, but if you have a specialized or unusual topic, call 240-818-1937 to discuss your need and we will try to arrange a time with one of our Staff members who may be able to help you.
Basic help should usually be available to:
• Get started with family history
• Learn to use resources such as FamilySearch / FamilyTree and Ancestry.com
• Create a Family Tree in FamilySearch
• Attach photos and documents into FamilySearch Family Tree content
• Operate microfilm readers
• Use the Premium Websites for research
• Information about DNA testing
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
- FHC Book List - List of all books at the Frederick Maryland Family History Center
- Genealogy Applications and Databases The Center’s Family History Center Portal gives free access to 14 premium family history websites which generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com, FindMyPast, Newspapers.com, Fold3, MyHeritage, American Ancestors, and Geneanet.
- Hardware and Equipment The Center has 8 personal computers with high speed internet access, one networked printer / photocopier / scanner, 3 microfilm readers, and 2 microfiche readers. Printing for research use is free.
- Reference Library The Center has several hundred genealogy reference books, with many on Maryland and Frederick County.
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Center, please call 240-818-1937 to discuss your background. Personnel must successfully complete an interview with Church Leadership.