|Georgia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Men of mark in Georgia, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4, Vol. 5, Vol. 6
- Biographical souvenir of the states of Georgia and Florida, e-book
- County & Town Histories of Georgia, with biographies
- Historical collections of Georgia : containing...biographical sketches, e-book
Biographies in Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- Biographical information is often found in state, county, and town histories.
- Towards the end of the 19th century, began publishers soliciting short biographical/family histories from local founding families, offering to publish them in an upcoming local history. This then became an incentive for family members to buy a copy of the book.
- Families represented were not necessarily prominent. Practically everyone living there, especially in the Midwest, counted as an early settler.
- These biographies often start with the first member of the family to settle in the area, and detail their descendants at the time of publishing. They may tell where the family moved in from. Children's marriages often are given, with maiden names included.
Finding Biographies[edit | edit source]
- The county Wiki page lists several county histories. It also lists local libraries, and societies which probably have copies of local histories.
- Many histories are no longer under copyright and can be found in the following online, digitized book collections. Search with keywords "History" and "the name of your locality" (state, county, or town).
- The FamilySearch library has extensive collections of these local histories. Many are digitized. Search the FamilySearch Catalog under your locality for the topics "Biography" and "History".
Georgia Archives[edit | edit source]
A large collection of early twentieth-century biographical questionnaires was microfilmed at the Georgia Department of Archives and History. The set is arranged alphabetically and is at the Family History Library FHL films 288169-83. This collection primarily includes biographies of prominent Georgians. The collection is indexed in the Georgia Genealogical Society Quarterly, 20 (1984): 141-169, 199-234 (see the "Georgia Periodicals" article).
Family History Library[edit | edit source]
Statewide, regional, and county histories often have biographical sections. The Family History Library also has biographical collections of politicians, lawyers, colonial clergymen, and other notable citizens.
Biographical Encyclopedias for Georgia
- Northen, William J. Men of Mark in Georgia. Seven Volumes. 1907-12. Reprint (Spartanburg, South Carolina: The Reprint Company, 1974) FHL microfilms 962882-85, book 975.8 D3n
- Knight, Lucian Lamar. A Standard History of Georgia and Georgians. Six Volumes. (Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company, 1917) FHL microfilms 1425701-02, book 975.8 H2k Volumes 4-6 are biographical.
State and County Biographies
To access Georgia biographies available through the Family History Library, see the FamilySearch Catalog Place-names search for:
- GEORGIA - BIOGRAPHY
- GEORGIA - BIOGRAPHY-INDEXES
- GEORGIA, [COUNTY] - BIOGRAPHY
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Access Genealogy - Georgia Biographies
- GeneaSearch-Georgia Biographies
- University of Georgia Research Guide
- Digital Library of Georgia - Georgia Biography