Georgia Probate Records - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: Some images found when browsing are upside down and backwards (mirror- image). Is there another way to view these images?
Answer 1: These images are available on microfilm which can be viewed at the Family History Library or some FamilySearch Centers. If you don’t wish to view the film, rotating the image using the tools bar will allow you to view the image right side up, but the words are still backwards. It is difficult, but not impossible to read the image in this manner. You may try reading the text from a mirror image of your monitor.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: Can you clarify the records in the waypoint Brooks > Wills 1860-1917?
Answer 2: The waypoint Brooks > Wills 1860-1917 covers the records from two books – Record of Wills, Book 1 1860-1899 and Record of Wills, Book B 1900-1917 beginning on image 179.
Question 3[edit | edit source]
Question 3: I am trying to search the Greene Co., GA Wills 1798-1914, Veal John-Zuber F. folder. There seems to be other records in that waypoint. Can you help me?
Answer 3: In searching this waypoint we find that the breadcrumb path on the menu bar wanders between Greene County Wills 1798-1914 < Veale John-Zuber and Estate Files, Abbott, B C-Allen Jonah. The records for both folders are duplicated in each waypoint. The first images are retakes of poor images from the Estate Files. Beginning at image 24 you will find the Greene County Wills 1798-1914 Veale, John – Zuber , John F. images. They are images 24-582. Images 584-1307 are from Estates 1790-1943 Abbott, Edwin-Allen, Jonah. The images from Alfrend, B. C. to Allen, Jonah do not appear to be online at this time. They could be viewed by viewing film #1765917. We recommend you call ahead to verify they have the equipment for viewing the film and their hours of operation.
Question 4[edit | edit source]
Question 4: The Event Type and Year Range (waypoint) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer 4: The following list of known waypoint discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Camden > Wills 1795-1932 vol A-D should read as Camden > Wills 1795-1932 vol A, C, D. Volume B was burned after the Civil War.
- Forsyth > Administration bonds 1835-1893 vol B contains records for Henry County.
- Forsyth > Administration bonds 1870-1937 vol B contains records for Henry County.
- Jasper > Bonds and letters 1809-1844 vol A-C > Images 7-43 of 548 contain records for Randolph county. However, Jasper County, in central Georgia, was originally named for Virginia planter and politician, John Randolph but, because of his opposition to U.S. entry into the War of 1812, the Georgia General Assembly changed its name in December 10, 1812 to Jasper. Eventually, John Randolph's reputation was restored, and in December 20, 1828, the General Assembly created the current Randolph County in the west of the state. So, any records prior to and including 1812 would be labelled Randolph, not Jasper. The current Randolph county is not in close proximity of the current Jasper (and original Randolph) county.
Question 5[edit | edit source]
Question 5: The Estate index for Jasper 1809-1907 shows records for Allen, Harris through to Bender, John S. but there are no corresponding Estate files. How can I see these records?
Answer 5: These records were either missed in film or were not available. FamilySearch does not have these records
Question 6[edit | edit source]
Question 6: The waypoint Murray > Wills 1840-1922, has not been divided into Volumes or Books. Is there a way to narrow the search parameters?
Answer 6: The images can be divided into two Books. Images 1-78 are from Book 1 which covers the years 1840-1872. Images 79-210 are from Book 2 which covers the years 1872-1922.
Question 7[edit | edit source]
Question 7: Chatham > Administration records, bonds, estates and will index 1777-1852 > Image 70 of 109 is blank. Is the image available?
Answer 7: Until the image is restored digitally, Image 70 is available on Film 355121. Image 70 contains index lines numbered 49-96.
- Go to Gerogia Probate Records - FamilySearch Historical Records article.
- Go to Georgia, Probate Records, 1742-1990 collection at FamilySearch.org.